Friday, June 19, 2015

5/26- 6/6: Training Weeks

     I started my internship at Smuggler's Notch on May 26th. That was my first day of training. I had to start a week early for supervisor and head counselor training. During that week I learned a lot about some of the extra responsibilities I would face during my internship for the summer. I had to learn how to use a scanner for the camper cards, and I had to learn about scheduling and the importance of the camper to counselor ratio. I also helped set up the Trail Blazer check-in center. Trail Blazer refers to an age group of children between the ages of 5-6. There are also the Discovery Dynamos which are children between the ages of 3-4, the Adventure Rangers are 7-10, the Notch Squad are kids ages 11-15, and the Explorers covers ages 16-17. 
     My next week at Smuggs was the regular camp counselor training week. We started training on June 1st and we got trained in safety, child development, and customer service. I work with the The Trail Blazer staff, and we had specific training to teach us activities such as arts and crafts, games, and nature fun targeting the 5-6 year old's specifically. We brainstormed a list of  activities to do with the children each day and we posted it in the meeting house, where we do check-in. Programming started the following week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment